The founder and chief executive of Huawei Technologies Co. says the U.S. government is underestimating the Chinese tech giant, and within a few years no one will be able to catch up with its 5G technology.
Speaking at a press conference Tuesday aired by China’s state broadcaster CCTV, Ren Zhengfei said a reported move by the Trump administration to temporarily ease export restrictions against Huawei was meaningless, as the company has already made preparations for such an eventuality, including stockpiling chips. He also said Huawei could make its own chips, though that doesn’t mean it intends to stop buying U.S. chips.
Zhengfei said Huawei’s 5G technology would not be affected by a U.S. export ban, and that within two to three years, no company will be able to match its 5G technology.
“The current practice of U.S. politicians underestimates our strength,” he said, according to a translation by TRT News.
On Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that U.S. officials will announce later this week that some companies would be granted 90-day exemptions to the U.S. export ban against Huawei, a move that could give Huawei and U.S. companies more time to find backup solutions, as well as serve as a bargaining chip to potential new trade talks with China.
Last week, the Trump administration announced a ban on U.S. technology and services to Huawei, among other foreign-owned companies, on national-security grounds. On Sunday, Alphabet Inc.’s
Google revoked Huawei’s Android license, and U.S. chip companies such as Xilinx Inc.
and Intel Corp.
cut off chip shipments to Huawei, according to Bloomberg News.
Get the top tech stories of the day delivered to your inbox. Subscribe to MarketWatch’s free Tech Daily newsletter. Sign up here.